Chicken Cordon Bleu
Credit: Joy of Cooking by Rombauer, Becker, and Becker
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 thin slices ham or prosciutto
4 thin slices Gruyere
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1. One at a time place the chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper and pound with a mallet until about 3/8-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cover one half of each chicken breast with a slice of ham and a slice of Gruyere. Fold each chicken breast in half and press the edges firmly together to seal.
3. Combine breadcrumbs, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a wide shallow bowl.
4. Whisk together the egg and water in another shallow bowl.
5. Spread flour on a plate.
6. Press both sides of each chicken packet in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and then coat with the bread crumb mixture.
7. Heat butter and olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
8. Place chicken packets in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes each. Serve immediately.
**I found that my chicken took about twice as much time as the recipe indicated. I also placed it in the oven for a few minutes to make sure the chicken was cooked through completely.