Greek-Style Lamb Kebabs with Feta Spread
Credit: Best of the Best Cookbook Recipes by Food & Wine, Original Recipe from Emeril at the Grill by Emeril Lagasse
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless leg or shoulder of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 to 10 bamboo skewers
8 pita breads
Feta Spread (recipe follows), for serving
1. In a large bowl combine the onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, mint, salt, cumin, paprika, pepper and olive oil. Stir well.Add the lamb and toss to coat it with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
2. Soak the skewers in warm water for abut 1 hour before assembling the kebabs.
3. Preheat a grill to high, and lightly oil the grate
4. Thread the lamb onto the skewers, and place them on the grill. Cook, turning frequently to promote even browning, for 12 to 14 minutes.
5. Wrap a pita bread around the meat on a skewer, and while holding the bread firmly around the meat, twist the skewer out of the meat. Drizzle the meat with feta spread to your liking. Repeat with the remaining pitas and skewers,and enjoy!
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
2 tablespoons minced green onion tops
1 tablespoon minced fresh int
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and stir to blend well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a least 1 hour or up to overnight to allow the flavors to blend.