For my birthday weekend at the cabin, we cooked up all sorts of delicious meals from my new Gordon Ramsay’s Home Cooking cookbook. We very much enjoyed this breakfast on a crisp, rainy, Fall birthday morning. If you want to save some time in the morning, you could par-boil your potatoes the night before and then refrigerate them until morning.
Leek and Gruyere Rosti with Fried Eggs
Credit: Gordon Ramsay’s Home Cooking by Gordon Ramsay
1 pound boiling potatoes, of a similar size
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus a little extra for eggs
3 tablespoons butter
1 leek, trimmed and finely shredded
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces gruyere, grated
tarragon leaves, to garnish
1. Parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water until turning tender, but not soft (about 10 minutes if using medium-sized potatoes). Remove, drain thoroughly, and leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in the pan. Saute the leeks for 3-4 minutes until soft but not colored; season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and coarsely grate the flesh. Pat dry with paper towels or a clean dish towel.
4. Gently mix the grated potato with the leeks and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and mix again.
5. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add another tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter. When the butter has melted, add the potato mixture, shaking the pan to form an even layer of potato. Leave to cook for 10 minutes over medium heat until golden brown (turn the heat down if the potato is browning too quickly).
6. Place a plate over the frying pan and invert both plate and pan so that the browned side of the rosti is facing upward on the plate. Add the final tablespoon of oil and butter to the pan and, once melted, slide the rosti back into the pan, browned side up. Continue to cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown underneath and cooked through.
7. Meanwhile, fry the eggs in a separate oiled hot frying pan until cooked to your liking
8. Serve the rosti with the egg on top and garnish with tarragon leaves. Enjoy!