These are my absolute favorite pickles. I have always loved bread and butter pickles since I was little, but these are so much better than store-bought. We very much enjoyed them when we were out on a picnic at the lake yesterday.
Bread and Butter Pickles
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 24 hours
- Yield: About 5 cups 1x
- 1 pound cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick (small pickling/salad cucumbers work best)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Diamond Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (if ground, use 1 teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, onion and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the mixture with ice. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- In a pot, bring sugar, vinegar and spices to a boil.
- Remove the ice and drain the cucumbers and onion.
- Add cucumbers and onion to vinegar mixture and bring almost back to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cool before dividing into jars.
- Refrigerate 24 hours before serving.
- Store pickles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen