Coconut Pastry Dough (for Triple Coconut Cream Pie)
Credit: The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook by Tom Douglas and Shelley Lance
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose lour
½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅓ cup ice-cold water, or more as needed (I only needed 3 tablespoons)
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, coconut, diced butter, sugar, and salt. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Gradually add the water, a tablespoon at a time, pulsing each time. Use only as much water as needed for the dough to hold together when pressed gently between your fingers.
2. Place a large sheet of plastic wrap on the counter and dump the coconut dough onto it. Wrap the dough with the plastic wrap, and shape dough into a round disk. Chill 30-60 minutes before rolling.
3. To roll the dough, unwrap the round of coconut dough and put it on a lightly floured board. Flour the rolling pin and your hands. Roll the dough out into a circle about ⅛-inch thick. Occasionally lift the dough to check that its not sticking and add more flour if needed. Trim to a 12-13-inch round.
4. Transfer the rolled dough to a 9-inch pie pan. Ease the dough loosely and gently into the pan You don't want to stretch the dough at this point because it will shrink when it is baked. Trim any excess dough to a 1- to 1 ½-inch overhang. Turn the dough under along the rim of the pie pan and use your finger and thumb to flute the edge. Chill the unbaked pie shell for at least 1 hour before baking This step prevents the dough from shrinking in the oven.
5. When you are ready to bake the pie crust preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a piece of parchment in the pie shell, with sides overhanging, and fill with dried beans. This step prevents the bottom of the crust from puffing up during baking. Bake the pie crust for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry rim is golden. Remove the pie pan from the oven. Remove the paper and beans and return the pie crust to the oven. Bake for another 10-12 minutes or until the bottom of the crust has golden brown patches. Remove from the oven and allow the pie shell to cool completely.