This may be my new favorite breakfast. End of story. It's just that good.
Updated August 2014: We have made this breakfast pizza dozens of times now. The best part about it is that you can be creative and change it up as much as you want. We typically stick to some sort of greens, lots of cheese, either bacon or prosciutto, mushrooms, and eggs. You, however, may have entirely different preferences. May I recommend starting with your favorite omelette fillings? Play around and enjoy!
If there's one thing I have learned about breakfast in Italy, it is that Italians are really missing out on a hearty breakfast! Typically breakfast here is coffee and a pastry (although I do LOVE pastries), not usually eggs or a hot breakfast of any kind. With all of these great ingredients and wood-fired pizza ovens, you would think somebody would open their pizzeria for breakfast! Until they do, I will continue to enjoy making this breakfast pizza myself at home.
I love pizza, and making pizza at home is one of our favorite things to do. After lots of practice, I have learned a lot about how to get good results at home. Read my thoughts about pizza and my favorite techniques here.Print
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza 1x
- ½ recipe Homemade Pizza Dough or your favorite store-bought pizza dough
- 3-4 very thin slices of Prosciutto (or 6 strips bacon, fried and roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot or green onion (white parts)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced or torn into pieces
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 large eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (green parts)
- Prepare pizza dough as directed in recipe.
- On a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal stretch the dough out to your desired size and thickness.
- Place a pizza stone or cast-iron pizza pan in oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Saute garlic and shallot until lightly golden. Remove from heat.
- Spread oil/garlic mixture in a thin layer all over the top of the dough. (This is the"sauce".)
- Tear Prosciutto into several pieces and arrange in an even layer, followed by mozzarella and mushrooms. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top.
- Gently crack 3 eggs onto the pizza. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently slide assembled pizza onto preheated baking stone in oven.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs have cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sliced green onions.
- Serve immediately.