Making chocolate pudding at home is easier than you think, and much more rich and delicious than store-bought.
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
Rich, creamy, and easy to make! Homemade chocolate pudding doesn't require any fancy ingredients or equipment, and tastes so much better than store-bought.
- Category: Dessert
⅔ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
3 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, sifted cocoa and cornstarch, and the salt.
- Slowly drizzle in the milk, whisking until smooth.
- Heat mixture over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Continue heating thickened mixture until boiling, whisking constantly for exactly 60 seconds.
- Remove from heat, still whisking. Add butter and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer to heatproof bowl. Let cool 15 minutes at room temperature, stirring frequently to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
- Cover pudding with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent skin from forming.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
For best flavor, use a good quality cocoa. I typically use Ghirardelli.
Do not skip the step of sifting the cocoa and the cornstarch. This helps prevent lumps in your pudding.
Keywords: chocolate, pudding, homemade pudding,
Chocolate pudding is one of my husband's love languages, and I shamefully often forget how easily homemade chocolate pudding comes together.
Have you heard the exciting news!?
My cookbook, My Little Michigan Kitchen: Recipes and Stories from a Homemade Life Lived Well is releasing in just a few weeks.
Stay in the loop with all of the fun details as soon as they're available by joining my email list below.[jetpack_subscription_form]
Have a fantastic weekend, and I hope you'll visit again soon. Thanks for stopping by!